Raise your hand if you love kale! … no hands?
Kale is one of those greens that you know you should eat, but it’s hard to find a recipe you want everyday. Call it a unicorn, but I’ve found mine and I keep this in the fridge at all times. This salad is packed with nutrients, fiber and is low in sugar, so it’s good for the “beach bod”.
Using a hybrid of a few different recipes I’ve tested, I make this salad at the start of the week and eat it as a quick lunch or snack. The dressing marinades the kale, which takes away a lot of that typical bitter taste. The brussel sprouts are an added green bonus full of Vitamin K and Vitamin C. I top it with tart dried cherries and whip up a quick maple dijon dressing.
If you want an added bonus, you can top with pecans, hemp hearts (for all you hard core health nuts) or even some citrus.
Go-To Kale & Sprout Salad
- 1 bunch Lincinato Kale
- 2 cups brussel sprouts
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon juice sqeezed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Wash and remove the stems from the kale. Then rough chop the dark green leaves.
- Thinnly chop brussel sprouts or shave them with a mandoline
- Combine the greens in a large bowl (preferrably with a lid so you can easily save it)
- Sprinkle the dried tart cherries on the top
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, dijon mustard, lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne
- Pour the dressing over the top of the salad and mix
- Let the salad rest and marinade for as long as you can. It's good if you prepare it right away, but best if you can let it sit in the dressing a while. Enjoy and save in the fridge for up to 3 days.